Sunday, September 13, 2009

Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman

Let me tell you about one of the best weekends of my life

So, this may not be an adventure from Hawaii but it's an adventure none the less. Mother and I went to NYC on Friday for a last splurge before my move. A few months back my friend Cara told me about the play "A Steady Rain" and I instantly had to go. Very fortunately I snagged a ticket for September 11th. It was a preview but that didn't matter to me. The opening night for the previews started the 10th and I move the 15th so this weekend was my only chance. It was AMAZING!

We left Wilkes-Barre at 7 am, which is not ideal, but the bus ride tends to take three hours so I slept. When we arrived we checked into the Mayfair and were on our way. The hotel was fabulous by the way, but not important to my story. We had no plans and ended up touring the NBC studios which was also very cool. Then we had a nap and at 5:30 we went to the Theatre. It was early yet so we ate at Junior's since it was right next door and promised baked goods. Later on I found out that the Junior's in Brooklyn is actually THE place to get NYC cheesecake. Thankfully I had gotten devil's food cheesecake and it really was the creamiest and best cheesecake I've ever had. I couldn't finish it, it was so huge! It was like a normal cheesecake stuck inside a moist dark chocolate cake and frosted with this fudge-like frosting. Yum!

By 7 we were waiting outside the theater for the 8 o'clock show. We were seated at 7:30 and all was going very smoothly. The play was fantastic! It consisted only of Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman with minimal props (two chairs) and minimal backgrounds. They had one and a half hours of dialogue with no break and seemingly no mistakes. If they made any, then I had no clue! They did brilliantly. It took a minute to switch from reality to the story they were telling but that's normal. I definitely got into it within a few minutes. They were brilliant, as expected. How could it not be? It's two amazing men in a cop drama on Broadway. Three of my favorite things! Or would it be four?

After the play I felt the need to hide in an empty cove to not get trapped in the sea of people leaving the theater. Then it seemed like things were going on to our left so we headed over there and low and behold it was people waiting to see the men leave the theater! How exciting! So, of course I joined in. Daniel Craig came out first and it was AMAZING. I mean, he's my absolute favorite actor and has been for a long time. Hell, John's first gift to me was Layer Cake! Unfortunately DC was in a hurry so he only signed a few and then ran away. It broke my heart.

Hugh Jackman came out shortly. He's such a sweetheart and very very handsome. He was smiling and winking and stayed a little longer. I even managed to get his autograph! A lady in front of me grabbed my Playbill while he was nearby and handed it to him. It was very sweet of her. All in all it was a good night, only I was heartbroken that DC was RIGHT THERE and I was unable to get his signature as well. Hugh Jackman doesn't even compare, in my heart haha. Mother and I decided that we'd look up the next day's show (I was certain there was a matinee) and get there a bit before it was due to be out and try again.

Well the next morning we got up at 6, again, in order to see the Statue of Liberty! It was exciting. I've lost count of how many times I've been to NYC yet I've never actually seen her. It was exciting and now a check off my list of things to see and do before I die! Hooray! It was a good trip and went smoothly. Afterwards we had a lot of time to kill before 3. I had found out the night before that there was indeed a show at 2.

My friend Corey now lives in NYC. He's fabulous so we decided to meet up at the theater since it was a free thing to do. He does live in NYC after all... haha. He showed up at bit late so Mother and I just hung out like typical fans haha. I've also learned this weekend that not ALL New Yorkers are horrendous and rude. Some proof came from Friday but Saturday also proved it. While the two of us were waiting a guy came out of the stage door that I recognized from the night before. He was helping with the security and also seemed to primarily stay by Daniel Craig in case of any danger. I thought I overheard his name to be Keith while he was on the phone. I have a terrible habit of listening in. I don't intend to but it happens often. So even if it's wrong, I'm going to refer to him as Keith. He was a doll. I saw him walk to the end of the theatre so no one else was near so I went over to him and asked if DC was going to come out after the play today. I knew it was only the first show of the day and some actors tend to just stay inside and relax. He admitted to me that he didn't know and he wasn't just saying that because of his job. I told him my little sob story about being there the night before after the play and missing Daniel, etc. I felt the need to explain myself- I often do. He was very kind to me but then had to go inside.

Mother and I continued waiting and Corey showed up. That was very cool. It was nice to see him again before I left. I don't see him nearly as much now that he lives in NY, so it was a good change. Crowds started to form, but they weren't too big for a while. Keith came out of the door, caught my eye, and mouthed to me that they'd be coming out. It calmed my nerves but started up other butterflies haha. It was SO EXCITED cause this time I was in front. Oh man it was wonderful. Daniel came out first again and stayed much longer. It was so nice. He signed a ton of things and Keith kept catching my eye and nodding at me. I knew he was telling me not to worry, that Daniel would get to mine. Haha. He didn't have to do anything to make it happen, he was just reassuring because he did. I got his autograph and it was amazing. I was the last one on our side and quick, but it happened and it made my life. Hooray! Then they went back inside. They weren't even leaving! He came out just to make the fans happy and then went back in. What a sweetheart.

Hugh Jackman came out afterwards. He is very handsome. He also signed many things and winked at lots of people. Momma is pretty sure he winked at her, haha, and is very excited about that. He stood right next to me! That was very pleasant haha. I didn't have him sign again since I got it last night. I could have, but I didn't. I was just enjoying the moment after that. Hooray!

What a wonderful wonderful weekend! And to top it off the people on our bus home were only going to two places to we got home in 2 hrs and 15 min instead of three! That was awesome!

I'm still on cloud 9. My Playbill is now in a ziplock so it doesn't get hurt and I'm most definitely going to frame it. Yay :-)

Photo Album

An Article about the play

No comments:

Post a Comment